10.06.2006

Fire drills?

I was abrupty awakened from my dreams this morning by the echoing sound of power drills on metal. My apartment shares a wall with the elevator shaft which is being remodeled this weekend. As if that wasn't enough announcement came on the intercom- I didn't realize we had intercoms- saying there has been an emergency and to please walk to the stairwell and vacate the building. Before the message was over it shut off. What??? You can't be serious! Do we have to vacate or not?? After being jolted out of bed they now wanted me to vacate my apartment! I had been concentrating on blocking that awful noise and writing my 100 facts for Sylvia's class- and now they want me to what? Go downstairs in my pj's and hang out to be sure all is safe?? I put sweats on in case the message came on again. Otherwise, I decided to stay and continue working. I didn't see anyone leave so I figured everything was ok and they must have accidentally hit the emergency button.

Four hours later The alarm went off again. This time I decided it might not be a drill so I grabbed my purse and went down to see what this distribution was all about. I ran into three other girls about my age coming down the stairwell vocalizing all the questions I had. Two of them were carrying their Mac Book's -- I had thought about it but decided it was probably another false alarm so decided against it. One of the girls had a margarita in the other had -- I didn't think of that!

Turns out it was a false alarm like I had predicted. As we exited the building through the lowest garage level and climbed up the driveway to the lobby Julie and Scott, the managers, opened the doors and let us back in. "Sorry, false alarm." They laughed at the girl with the margarita.

This did make me contemplate the cliche question: If your house was on fire and you could only take three things what would they be? My answer would be more practical now than it was as a child. I would include my stuffed animals as one lump thing out of the three. Or later on, my ice skating, singing and dancing trophies and metals. Like I could grab all of them in one arm with my dog and my photo album in the other! Luckily I know all those silly things are still safe at my parent's house -- knock on wood. The great thing about digital cameras now is that all my priceless photos are safe on my tiny flashdrive and my laptop, along with all my music. I'm sure at one point I would have wanted to take all my tapes or CD's but decided they were replaceable. Now they are all safe in my itunes folder.

So, I would definitely take my brand new Macbook Pro with all my assignments, pictures and music. I spent what I consider an outrageous amount of money on this thing anyway and hopefully I won't have to replace it for a while. My Gateway desktop can melt for all I care! I have backups of everything on that because it crashed so many times during the last semester of college when I really got into all the Adobe Creative Suite software and it wasn't powerful enough to handle my final advertising campaigns project. That's why I got the most power and whatever else put into my Mac.
Obviously I'd grab my kitty Shelby. I need to find her lease so she doesn't run away while we're outside with all the other people from my building and their dogs. She'd probably be scared so maybe I'd just put her in her carrier.
And, hmmm... I have renter's insurance so what else? My purse doesn't count right??? Like how an airline allows so many bags plus a purse? Besides that I guess I should take my diploma maybe. I'd make sure my passport and social security card and all that are in my purse cause those take too long to replace.

Funny to think about that kind of thing. Anyway, I can' wait for our field trip tonight! I'm sure that will be my next entry!

No comments: