10.20.2006

Almost?

Now I know what the coyote feels like every time he fails to catch the roadrunner. I have been working on this assignment for over a week and it's still not exactly right -- almost -- but it's not there yet. "It's still not yupik enough, a little too cartoony still..." Sylvia informed me this afternoon. I waited almost two hours outside of her classroom for her to tell me I have more work to do. I asked her for advice on how I could make it more Yupik and she asked me questions that make me wonder if she even knows what Yupik art is supposed to look like. She asked if they have totem poles; they don't. "Do they have anything growing from the ground?" no! I've explained numerous times that they carved into ivory and they made masks. Add the parkas that they made and that's it, the extent of their cultural art.
So, here I am, DAY FOUR of my attempt to redo this poster and I still feel like I'm never going to catch the roadrunner and succeed in my mission. I'm not positive on what my mission is at this point but I will get back to you on that.

No comments: