11.22.2006

A little insomnia... A little homesick


[My dad and bro John this past summer at an Astros game]


[This past Easter: Me, Mike, Kristi, brother Tommy and his wife Jerissa]


After three or four days with only a couple hours of sleep, I crashed after Sylvia's class but woke up after only two hours of sleep. Is my internal clock so screwed up that I can only sleep for a couple hours at a time now? I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. I was in that mode where I wasn't totally awake yet but already worrying about all the things I have to do for class and for this Thanksgiving dinner I guess I'm gonna try to cook.

I thought I'd be fine not going home for Thanksgiving -- I mean I really don't have time -- but I'm kinda sad. My dad called the other day and asked me again if I was sure I couldn't come home. Totally made me cry. I always miss my family but I'm not the type to get homesick. I think with my dad's health he's more sentimental than ever before. He's on the liver transplant list because of Walter Payton's Disease (basically scarring of the liver). He's been on the list for 3 years and it's getting harder and harder to wait. Plus, my brother John is coming home and I haven't seen him since my cousin's wedding this past July 4th. I miss them.

Only 26 days 'till I go to LA for Christmas break! I'm not going to Texas at all, instead I'll spend the 18th through the 1st in LA and maybe some time in San Diego at my bro's. My favorite and closest relatives: my Aunt Candie, Uncle Walt, and cousins Kristi and Mike live out there. My cousin Mike had a surfing accident in Hawaii this summer just before his 16th birthday. He's paralyzed from the waist down right now. He's an incredible athlete- quarteback of his football team, basketball player and all that - so his rehab is helping. I know he'll walk again; he has that determination. Anyway, my aunt and uncle are taking him for some special new procedures first in Baltimore then in Colorado, before and after Christmas so it works out that I can go and spend time with Kristi. She's a senior in high school and getting geared up for college, plus she's been doing so much for everyone since the accident -- taking care of the house, etc. She needs some fun sister/cousin time and I'm so excited I can be there for her. We're already planning a day at Universal, Rodeo Drive, Malibu and where ever else. I can also get their house all decorated and ready for Christmas so it'll be nice when everyone else gets in.

No matter where I am for Christmas, I'm the one that does the tree and wraps all the presents. Maybe it's because I'm the youngest in my immediate family, or because I'm a perfectionist. I get it from my Aunt Candie. When it comes to all my home decorating and hostess tendencies, I patterned myself after her at a young age. We are very much alike in many ways. It's funny because Kristi and my mom are that way. People think I am Candie's daughter and Kristi is my mom's, which is even funnier because she's adopted.


[Aunt Candie and me: see the resemblance?]


I think I'm gonna try to sleep again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Becca! I'm really sorry we couldn't spend it together with the whole gang. I hope you have a wonderful dinner.

Just remember that all the time and effort you are putting in now will make it that much better when you go home for the holidays. You're almost there and I can see the light at the end of our tunnel. It'll be great - you'll see.

Tania Rochelle said...

Who does Aunt C's hair. I like that cut.

Tania Rochelle said...

Yeah, I'm your grammar teacher. There should have been a question mark.