11.05.2006

Hoedowns


I glanced at the Hoedowns Website to get directions right before we left and was surprised to find a detailed description of etiquette for the gay country western bar. The list instructs novices to "stay on the outside or off the dance floor" so as not to get in the way of any real dancers. I had been excited to go country western dancing but I didn't dance. Our guys not only didn't know how to two-step, they were intimidated by the dancers already on the floor and wouldn't let me teach them. Dissapointing. Meredith got a dance lesson from a big, burly guy though. For her first country western dancing attempt she did a pretty good job!

The atmosphere was typical western: wood, stars and spurs, the dance floor closed off like a corral. Posters of half naked cowboys on the wall elude to the gay part. It was strange to walk in and into a wall of men, all of them just standing around holding their Budweisers and checking out all other "prospects."

I am from Texas and I had never seen the specific line dances these people were doing. They have classes at this place during the weekdays and I really think they make up all their own line dances to show off on Saturday night. I want to find a real country western place here where our guys will actually dance. :)

4 comments:

ktothefe said...

i didn't see any posters of half naked cowboys on the wall....

Becca said...

By the ATM!

mer said...

I wish we could have all danced in the rodeo ring together. You looked so adorable I am surprised no one asked you for a private 2 step lesson. Maybe they were intimidated by you? At least you had fun with the boys at Hole in the Wall. They were all fighting to dance with you. So many boys and only one Becca- what's a girl to do :)

chrissy said...

You always have so many pictures-you are definetly the cruise director.