4.20.2007

My dad

Most of y'all know what happened after my previous post, but if not, I'll explain why I haven't written in over a week. Tuesday, April 10th, after four years of waiting, went in to get his liver transplant. He called before he went into surgery, excited and looking forward to hopefully feel better. We said I love you and he told me to go to class. ;)
Since my senior year in high school, he's been sick. First they though it was cancer, but after surgery at MD Anderson, he was diagnosed with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (Walter Payton's Disease). When they went in to get his old liver out, there were so many complications from scar tissue and extra blood vessels that the surgery took much longer than normal and his body was too weak to accept the new liver.
I flew home as soon as I knew the surgery was going too long and was there by his side with the rest of my family when he passed. I can't believe he's gone. I just keep telling myself he's in a better place doing all the things he was too sick to do anymore. He was the greatest father and role model and I'm lucky to have had so much time with him. Here's what we wrote for the paper to share some insight into his life:

THOMAS CARL BELSHA, SR., beloved husband, father, brother, son and friend, passed away 4/10/07 of Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. Born in St. Louis, MO, 3/18/1952, to Elmer and Ruth Belsha, he grew up in Jennings, MO. He attended The University of Missouri at Rolla from 1970-74, where he played football his freshman year. After graduation in 1974 with a B.S. in Petroleum Engineering he worked for Amoco Production Co. in Andrews, TX, and Houston, TX, where he met and married Robin Glasgow Richards in 1977. He later worked for Union Texas Petroleum in Houston, Lafayette, LA and Denver, CO, and once again in Houston. For the remainder of his career, he worked for Scana Petroleum and Seagull Energy which became Ocean Energy, now part of Devon Energy. Active in his community, this Eagle Scout was a leader in Boy Scouts and Indian Princesses. He devoted many years supporting his children’s activities at J. E. Taylor High School parent groups for football, Pacesetters and choir, chaperoning many choir trips. As a 23 year member of St. Peter’s United Methodist Church in Katy, he served on the Board of Trustees, Finance Committee, youth group leader, Sunday School teacher, Usher and sang in the chancel and men’s choirs. Memberships included Kappa Sigma Fraternity, The Society of Petroleum Engineers, and Trinity University’s PAWS football parents group. An avid sportsman, he especially loved football, baseball, basketball, golf, hunting, snow skiing, camping and any activity involving his children and friends. He is survived by his cherished wife of 28 years, Robin Richards Belsha; their children, Thomas Carl Belsha, Jr., John Logan Belsha, Rebecca Marie Belsha, Jerissa Poulson Belsha his daughter-in-law; his mother Ruth Abstein Belsha; brothers: Dennis, Peter, Robert and Craig; his mother-in-law Mary Lynn J. Richards and a large extended group of family and friends. Thomas Carl Belsha, Sr.’s warmth, wit, kindness, ethics, leadership and dedication to the important things in life were an inspiration to all who knew him.

My brothers and I planned the memorial service with scripture and songs that meant a lot to him. We put together a slide show and recorded the songs, Psalm 139 and Recollection of Joy:

I Thank my God when I remember you, for he has blessed my life with yours. In every prayer of mine for you, I'm filled with joy! For I hold you, I hold you in my heart.

4 comments:

Joe said...

I'm so sorry Becca. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I never met your dad, but after getting to know you over the past few months, there's no doubt he was a kind and inspirational person. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers for your father, you family and you.

kuh reel yuh said...

I was absolutely heartbroken when I heard the news. I am glad to hear that you were able to be at his side when he passed on. Please cherish it; I often wish I could've had the same privilege with my dad.

I know you've probably been inundated with calls, but please know that you've been in my thoughts and prayers since I heard. If you need ANYTHING at all, I'm right next door.

xoxo

:: k

Becca's Mom said...

Precious girl, I know your Dad would be so proud of you for the way you and your brothers (and Andy) conducted yourselves and supported me through this difficult time. You're all the best of him & a huge gift.

On a lighter note - can you believe I got the # of years we were married wrong - actually was 29 - would have been 30 in Oct. (this is where all my students say "There's a reason Mrs. Belsha doesn't teach math!" ) Love you,
Mom