7.25.2007

Why couldn’t I just stay there?



I wouldn’t want to miss out on the amazing educational experience that Portfolio Center has to offer. The idea of kayaking in front of a glacier every morning is incredibly intriguing though. Maybe I could really follow Alissa’s advice: make a living from blogging and freelance and then live wherever I want and travel whenever I have the urge. Just a thought, although I think I’ll stick to my set plan of becoming a copywriter then creative director in five or so years. We will see.

With that said, I love Alaska. Last I wrote, I was on the boat, just getting into glacial waters, not sure exactly what to expect from the excursions we signed up for or the towns we were set visit. I thought nothing could top the view from the ship:


The farther inland we went, the more massive the mountains appeared. As a petroleum engineer with a love of geology, my dad would have been like a kid in a candy store looking at all the geological evidence from millions of years of seismic activity and glacial movement. Here's a great example of that from the next day. This is somewhere between Skagway, Alaska, and the Yukon in Canada. (Did I mention we also went to Canada? I'll save the horseback riding and canoeing stories for my next post.)


We docked in Juneau on Tuesday morning, Andy and I set off to Kayak by the Mendenhall Glacier. I still need to get those pictures developed from my waterproof camera, but here’s a side view from a river my mom floated down during her excursion.

On the lake in our two person Kayak, we were joined by an adorable seal. He just followed us around and floated by our group. We were also lucky enough to see three bald eagles, soaring overhead. Before racing the other couples back to the beach(we really got a hang of kayaking together), Andy and I decided we needed to move to Alaska one day, or at least get a kayak.

1 comment:

chrissy said...

first!